Group 4 VAO General English Model Test 16
Congratulations - you have completed Group 4 VAO General English Model Test 16. You scored %%SCORE%% out of %%TOTAL%%. Your performance has been rated as %%RATING%%
Your answers are highlighted below.
- Match the following words given under Column A with their meanings under Column B and select the correct answer from the codes given below:
- Column A Column B
- a) Interred Weapon
- b) ruffle Abundant
- c) copious Buried
- d) armament Disturb
3 2 1 4
3 4 2 1
3 4 2 1
1 2 3 4
- Mention the poem in which this line occur.
- “Think me not unkind and rude”
Be glad your Nose is on your face
Prayer of a sportsman
A Psalm of Life
Window shade “ in American English is ___________ in British English.
In the short story “ Little cyclone”, Little cyclone refers to
A fierce cyclone in Alaska
A little polar bear
- He, who does not stoop, is a king we adore”
- Find the figure of speech of the above line
- Identify the sentence pattern:
- Surprisingly, Meena presented Arun a gold watch.
In India _______ is a soul of food.
Match the following phrases/idioms given in Column „A‟ with their meaning in Column „B‟
- Column A Column B
- a) Behind bars Finish a task ahead of the fixed time.
- b) Bring in Interrupt.
- c) Cut off Earn
- d) Beat the clock Imprison.
1 4 3 2
4 2 3 1
4 3 2 1
4 1 3 2
- Identify the sentence:
- That he is unreliable is well known.
None of these
- “Don’t worry, cheeka .....you will make it. You will make a comeback in the Indian team, you will be a successful cricketer”
- Whose inner voice is this?
In the story 'The Singing Lesson' who stopped Miss Meadows?
Choose the simple sentence out of the sentences given below:
He finished his exercised and put away the books.
The man endured all the horrors of the campaign without anyone of them making complaint.
We must eat, or we cannot live.
Not only did his father give him money, but his mother too.
What is the plural form for the word “Lion” :
- Find out suitable verb for the sentence from the options given below:
- The street dog ____________ (bite) a small boy ten minutes ago.
What is the name of the commander whose forgiveness Abraham Lincoln sought for being rude to him?
- Mango is sweeter than pineapple.
- Find out the type of sentence.
- Fill in the blank with the correct answer from the following options.
- “ The story of My Life” is the autobiography of ------------
Match the following:
- a) Two friends Mr.Nuttel
- b) The open window Colonel Dumoulin
- c) The Last Leaf Ivan Dmitritch
- d) The Lottery Ticket Behrman
2 3 4 1
2 1 4 3
2 1 3 4
2 3 1 4
At what age Mithali Raj is selected for Indian Cricket Team?
- Choose the correct verbs.
- The united states ________ a big navy.
Fill in the blank with the suitable preposition:
- Children are not afraid -------------- the dog.
Find out the meaning of the idiom “A shot in the dark”
Moving in a dark place
Running in the dark
- “ A note as from a single place,
- A slender tinkling fall that made”
- These above lines occur in the poem.
Going for water
The Cry of the children
Who was the first senator to stab Caesar?
The barrel had long time been empty as wind. Find the figure of speech of the above line.
- Find out the meaning of the underlined word in the following lines from sonnet No. 116: “Let me not to
- the marriage of true minds Admit Impediments……
Who explored East Indies around 1500 CE/AD?
In the poem “Once upon a time” the author wants to relearn?
How to laugh
How to earn money
How to be happy
How to be genuine
As he was ambitious, I slew him . Here slew means
- here aren’t _______ students in the library
- Fill in the blanks with suitable determiners
_________ is a repetition of the consonant at the beginning of words in a line.
Choose the statement that takes the question tag shouldn‟t they?
Students should not be allowed to use the library everyday,
Students must be allowed to use the library everyday,
Students could be allowed to use the library everyday,
Students should be allowed to use the library everyday
Who is the narrator of the short story “Tight Corners”?
Friend of Lucas
An army officer
An auction house owner
- Select the correct tense:
- Help! I -------------- fall.
am going to
Identify the sentence which is in the superlative degree.
All his colleagues are senior to him.
The nearest railway station is two kilometers from here
My knife is sharper than yours
Of the two evils, Choose the less.
What is the historical importance of September 11, 2001?
Attack of the Twin Towers
Bomb blast in Hiroshima
World War II
Water- The Elixir of life is a note on importance of water written by.
Sir C.V. Raman
Gopala Krishna Gokhale was.
A freedom fighter
The first president of India
The first prime Minister of India.
- Fill in the blank with suitable gerund.
- We were prevented from ________ the prisoner.
Having been seen
Faster than faires, faster than witches, Bridges and houses, hedges and ditches, What is faster than faires and witches?
- “she hurries to the table, addresses an envelope, endorses the cheque and slips it inside with a bill which she takes from the bag and seals the envelope”
- The line depicts whose activity after receiving the cheque from Aunt Jane?
Which one of the following is a correct sentence?
Your pencil is more sharp than mine
Your pencil is sharper than me
Your pencil is the sharper than mine
Your pencil is sharp than mine.
- Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls”
- Name the poet who dreamt of a world with equality and harmony.
Choose the right idea conveyed by the statement given below : Sometimes parents complain that their teenage children have suddenly become very indisciplined, not paying heed to their advice.
Teenagers are not advised by their parents
Parents heed to the advice of their teenage children
Teenagers listen to their parents advice
Parents think that their teenage children don’t listen to their words
- Identify the figure of speech in the following sentence.
- She accepted it as the kind cruelty of the surgeon‟s knife
The poem “A poison tree” was first published in
Songs of Expression
Songs of Experience
Songs of Feelings
Songs of mind
Which year government of India honoured Mary Kom with Padma Shri?
- Choose the correct tense form of the verb given in brackets.
- I ---------------- (go) to eleventh standard next year.
What is the name of black and white pet dog of Ambazhathel in the short story “A Childhood in Malabar”?
- Ingratitude, more strong than traitor‟s arm
- Quite vanquished him‟
- Identify the speaker who uttered these words,
Match the following phrases with their meaning and select the answer from the codes given below:
- Phrases Meaning
- a) give in 1. return or relinquish
- b) give up 2. move back
- c) get on 3. Yield
- d) get back 4. Cope with
3 4 1 2
2 3 4 1
4 2 3 1
3 1 4 2
Blend the following words and select the correct codes given below.
|Column A||Column B|
|(a) Lecture||1. Broadcast|
|(b) Technology||2. Music|
|(c) News||3. Wizard|
|(d) Pop||4. Demonstration|
3 1 4 2
2 4 3 1
4 3 1 2
1 4 2 3
What is the theme of the poem, „A psalm of Life”?
- Fill in the blank with a suitable question tag:
- Let‟s go for a walk, _________ ?
Should we ?
Can we ?
Could we ?
Shakespeare wrote ………. long poems.
- Fill in the blanks by choosing the correct tense forms the options given below:
- I will go to meet him rather than ---------- for him.
wait for him
to wait for him
will wait for him
shall wait for him
- Choose the correct phrase to complete the following sentence.
- She has great fondness __________.
The …….. asked Hughie to earn Ten thousands of his own to Marry Laura.
Find out the word that has got a wrong prefix.
Find out the odd one :
- country side II. inside III. Presidw IV hiliside.
None of these
How many Sea Turtle species have become extremely rare in India?
In the poem “Once upon a time” who wants to shed falsehood and regain true ways as a child.
Sachin Tendulkar deep-rooted desire ultimately happened in
What is a refrain?
The first line of a poem that is repeated in all stanzas
The repetition of a line or lines within a poem, at given intervals
The first line and the last line are one and the same in the last stanza.
The last two lines of the first stanza and the last two lines of the last stanza are one and the same
Having overloaded myself I reached the palace in search of all the glory of the old Chola capital. The 16th century palace was built by the Nayaks and later renovated by the Marathas. Who built the palace in Thanjavur?
_____ are the words with similar sound and spelling but different meaning.
- But I tell you once and once again, Macavity’s not there!”
- In the above line –I refer to whom?
- Choose the appropriate passive voice for the following sentence:
- They were carrying the injured player off the field.
They carried the injured player off the field.
The injured player was being carried off the field by them.
The injured player carried them off the field.
The field was being carried by them for the players
- He put up a notice “Trespassers will be prosecuted?
- What do you meant by the word “Prosecuted”?
What is the theme observed in the story “The mark of Vishnu”?
Quest for freedom
Abolition of communism
Riddance of superstition.
Lewis Carroll is ______
an English writer
An American writer
A French writer
An Indian writer
Find out the passive voice from the questions.
They ask Silly questions
They were given freedom.
They found it easy
They made their point clear.
Who had gained the name little cyclone by his vigour of its resistance to ill treatment?
Mother of Grizzly bear
None of the above
- Identify the sentence pattern.
- Selvi cooks lunch.
Who is the author of the book “Little women”?
Louis May Alcott
Jack Canfield Mark Victor Hansen
------------ felt ashamed of his self-pity. He realized how rich he was. He had two legs and he could walk”. Fill in the blanks with right character.
Mrs. Edith Allred
The right plural form for the word underlined in the following sentence is __________ John speaks without basis.
Who is the highest run scorer in Women’s International Cricket?
Mithali Dorai Raj
Who played a vital role in formative years of the author Khushwant Singh?
“Every man may profit by the example of truly great men, if he is bent on making the most of himself and his circumstances”. This theme is reflected in:
Laugh and Be Merry‟ by John Masefield
Leisure‟ by Walter De la Mare
A Psalm of life‟ by H.W. Longefellow
O captain, My captain‟ by Walt Whitman
- “Boss, you wait and watch. In five years time, I’ll captain India.”
- Kris Srikkanth, said this words to L.Sivaramakrishnan and others during a Ranji Trophy match in
Who is the narrator of the story “After twenty years”?
According to Greeks _______ and __________ were two sides to the same coin.
Music and literature
Music and dance
Culture and music
Music and astronomy
. “ There were twelve peach-trees that in the spring –time broke out into delicate blossoms of pink and pearl”.
- The colour of the blossom is ----------------
Pink and Blue
Pink and Pearl
Pink and Red
Pink and Yellow
Theme of the poem stopping by woods on a Snowy evening
Nature is beautiful
Love the snowy winter and help the poor.
Life is a gift, live in a healthy manner
Duty is the important thing, one should not temped by other attraction.
What is the height of Shivalinga in the sanctum sanctorum of the Brihadeeswar at Temple?
Identiry the incorrect preprositional pharse from the given option: David is -------------------
araraid of dark
afraid of dogs
for definitely wrong
frightened of devails
Vijay said “I had taken swimming lessons before.”
- Convert the above sentence to reported speech
Vijay said that he has taken swimming lessons before
Vijay said that he have taken swimming lessons before
Vijay said that he had taken swimming lessons before
Vijay said that he had taken swimming lessons now
________ is made of Bamboo strips and a light pole.
Fill in the blanks with suitable phrasal verbs.
- “ I won‟t look down, No I will not
- With speed of wings I hasten past”
- In whose poem do the following lines occur?
Famida Y. Basheer
What is the speciality of the “Vinanams‟ of the Brihadeeswarar temple?
Built of teak wood.
Built with a special kind of mortar.
Built with stones with bonding and notching
Built up without the use of mortar.
“I left I cherished the moist imprint as perhaps the last sign of physical contact between us” The above implies the last physical contact between the author and his?
Who is the author of the poem “Indian seasons”?
Indra Antha Krishnan
Match the following words given in Column A with their meanings in Column B and select the correct answer from the codes given below:
- a) siblings reveal
- b) hardy brothers and sisters
- c) mettle Strong
- d) disclose Courage
3 4 1 2
2 3 4 1
3 4 2 1
1 2 4 3
Select the correct sentence from the following:
The patient has been discharged in hospital
The patient has been discharged from the hospital
The patients has been discharged from hospital
The patient have been discharged from hospital
- In which play do the following lines occur?
- “It is not so expressed but what of that?
- ‘T’ were good you do so much for charity”
The Merchant of Venice
Choose the option which contains the correct sequence of words to be filled.
- Ranjith----------- and ------------ his leg when he ------------ from a bus.
slips, injured, is a lighting
slipped,injures, was a alighting
slipped, injured, was slighting
has slipped,injures, was alighting
- Find out the poem from which the following lines occurred?
- “Stalking the length of his cage, Ignoring visitors”.
A Tiger in the Zoo
The Flying wonder
Laugh and Be Merry
The farmer _________ the wheat which ________.
Was cutting, has ripened
is cutting, has ripened
is cutting, had ripen
would not got off, apologizes
Once you are finished, click the button below. Any items you have not completed will be marked incorrect.
There are 100 questions to complete.