Group 4 VAO General English Model Test 13
Congratulations - you have completed Group 4 VAO General English Model Test 13. You scored %%SCORE%% out of %%TOTAL%%. Your performance has been rated as %%RATING%%
Your answers are highlighted below.
Choose the birth place of Kalpana chawla
- The following line is from the play Julius Caesar.
- “O judg’ment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts”
- The figure of speech employed in the above line is
“Man’s little Day in haste we spend”. This line is from the poem written by
Pick out the sentence without an adverb.
He speaks cheerfully
Sankaran received the badge
He walks fast
I get up early.
Choose the correct antonym for the italicized word:
- The flower girl is shabby.
Find the odd pair from those given below:
The Apology – Ralph waldo Emerson
Is life, but a dream? – H.W.Longfellow
The flying wonder – Stephen Vincent Benet
English words – V.K. Gokak
Identify the author who uttered the following sentence.
- “Man is born free but is everywhere in chains”.
Jean Jacques Rousseau
“A Psalm of Life” appeared in the collection of poems titled _____________
Wayside Inn (1855)
Miles Standish (1858)
Voices of the Night (1839)
The giant knocked down the wall with
a big axe
In the poem “Hollow Crown” who is narrating the sad death stories of the Kings?
King Henry II
King Richard III
King Richard II
Who is the first witness came to complain about Mahesh?
Small master note book
Identify the complex sentence.
As the war had ended, the soldiers returned.
The war being ended the soldiers returned.
The war ended and so the soldiers returned
The war ended and so the soldiers returned
. I always _______ (drink) coffee at work. Fill in the blanks with suitable form of verb
- Identify the degree, and choose the correct answer:
- Some poets are at least as great as Tennyson.
None of these
- Add a prefix to the word ‘..noble’ to complete the sentence
- Don’t be —-noble.
Usha Rani, a Kabbadi Champion used to sell _________to support her family.
Books and News paper
Which one of the following sentence is incorrect?
The flowers smell sweet
Of Mumbai and Chennai, the former is the wealthiest.
Six miles is a long distance.
As a novelist, Jane Austen is superior to Mrs. Henry wood.
Who is the author of the short story “With The photographer”?
Which is developed as a poison tree?
Lalitha has __________ medical leave and is expected to join duty next Monday
Which sentence pattern is not repeated?
- Mother cooks food daily.
- We relished it for a long time.
- We shall visit Delhi next month.
- They are busy nowadays.
The lesson ‘To the Land of Snow’ written by AthushiDeshpandae is a
Which of the following sentences are in active voice?
- They sing songs in the assembly.
- A notice was sent by the manager.
- You gave him your pen.
- He has built a house in his native place
Only I, III and IV are correct
Only II, III and IV are correct
I, II and III are correct
All are correct
Which of the following is not a poem?
A Psalm of life
The Mark of Vishnu
The cry of the children
The man he killed
Who is the only poet to awarded “Poet Laureate of Michigan”?
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Edger A. Guest
- Habitual failure to be present at work
- Find suitable word to substitute the above sentence
Fill in the blanks with the suitable preposition:
- place your right hand --------------- your left hand.
“The Adventures of Huckleberry “was written by.
William Temple Hornaday
Who is the narrator of the story “The portrait of a lady”?
American English equivalent for “Puncture‟ is ____________
Blast – out
Blow – out
Crash – out
Choose the meaning of the underlined word.
- No opponent is too big to defeat.
How many steps are there in Goal Setting?
Fill in the blanks with suitable gerund: --------------- on the grass is forbidden.
To be walked
In the poem “once upon a time” what is the relationship between the narrator and the listener?
Father and son
Mother and daughter
Father and daughter
At high school Paulnack scored good grades in——
Science and Maths
Science and Arts
Science and Humanities
Arts and Crafts
Match the following phrases given Column A with the blending words in column B:
|Column A||Column B|
|a) Information + System||1. Vash.|
|b) Bombay + Hollywood||2. Mopad.|
|c) Motor + Pedal cycle||3. Bollywood|
|d) Volcanic + Ash||4. Infosys|
3 2 4 1
4 1 2 3
2 1 3 4
4 3 2 1
From the given options, choose the poet who has written “Don‟t Quit”
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Edgar A. Guest
In Which poem, do you find the following line?
- “Virgin rock takes form”.
To a Millionaire
Which one of the following has the correct infinitive?
Music hath charms to soothe the savage beast
Music hath charms to soothing the savage beast
Music hath charms to having soothe the savage beast
Music hath charms to having soothing the savage beast
Complete the sentence choosing an option from those given below: Yesterday ---------- European met me.
Find out the odd.
- Antipathy 2. Antibiotic 3. Anticlimax 4. Anti-oxidant
Which country brought Potato to India?
Identify the past perfect tense from the options given below:
They came immediately
The rain had stopped
Rajesh entered the school
We called them back.
In the short story “After twenty years” identify the character that have a little white scar near his right eyebrow.
What is the theme applied in the poem? “Be the Best”.
Marry Botham Howitt was
An English poet
A French poet
A German poet
An Italian poet
Laugh till the game is played” __ what is the game referred to here?
David Herbert Lawrence occupies a unique position among the leading ………… of England.
Which of the following endings is correct to form the correct complex sentence?
as he was guilty
but he was guilty
so he was guilty
In the short story , ‘Brought to Books’ who got the for “Best looked-after the books”?
- Fill in the blanks with suitable preposition given below as options:
- There is a beautiful bridge ---------------- the Kaveri river.
- Who do you think is these lines addressed to :
- You cannot rob us of the rights we cherish,
- Nor turn our thoughts away
- From the bright picture of a „Women‟s mission‟
- Our hearts portray.
An individual reader
The poet‟s companion
Society at large
A particular misogynist group
“Love’s not Times fool, though rosy lips and cheeks”. In which poem this line is taken from…………..
Be the Best
A Psalm of Life
Complete the following poetic line choosing from the options given. If you can‟t be the sun, ____________
be a hero
be a star
be a leader
be a player
. In which of his essay Robert Lynd takes a humorous look at the nature and effects of forgetfulness.
Fill in the blanks with suitable options. My grandmother ______ seventy five years old when she _______.
Was, will die
Choose the correct option. We use _______ when something is compulsory, obligatory and important.
Whose autobiography is named “Wings of fire”?
Dr.A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
Which year Columbus set his sail to India in order to get pepper?
The first Asian Composer to score a symphony for the Royal Philharmonic orchestra is __________.
Ustad Bade Ali Khan
Shakespeare was born on .
April 26 1564
May 26 1564
May 26 1564
June 26 1564
Select the correct question tag: wait a minute, ---------------------?
Identify the speaker: “I shot him dead becauseBecause he was my foe”.
- Match the following suffixes with the root word and mark the codes given below:
- Column A Column B
- (a) migrate 1. ment
- (b) notice 2. ern
- (c) north 3. ion
- (d) excite 4. able
1 4 2 3
3 4 2 1
3 1 4 2
2 4 3 1
- “Rampaging through the heavens
- Never stopping day or night,
- A spectacle of a lifetime
- A comet in full flight”
- Write the rhyme scheme of the above stanza
- In whose biography do you find this statement?
- “I would sweep them out of existence if I had the power‟
Find out the wrong statement
Sea Turtles smaller than tortoise
Sea Turtles have small connection with land
Olive Ridley, one of the Species of Sea Turtle found on Indian Shores.
Sea Turtle –biological relative of tortoise
- When I saw a black and white print of Jesus Christ in his hut I asked Gandhiji,
- “How is this ? you are not a Christian”
- “I am a Christian and a Hindu and a Muslim and Jew. “he replied.
- The answer of Gandhiji reflects ------------------
his faith on secularism
his disrespect for religion
his disrespect for others.
- “The most beautiful things in the world
- Cannot be seen or even touched, but
- just felt in the heart”.
- In whose biography could you find these words?
Choose the correct form of the verb to fill in the blank: They _______ the bridge for several months
Have been building
Will be building
Had been building
- . “There should be a special waiting-room for children”
- How many children were there in the play “The First Patient”?
They sometimes “skinned their noses” . What is the figurative meaning of the phrase “Skinned their noses”?
were upset by failures
rubbed the nose accidentally
scratched the nose
encouraged by failures.
In the short story, ‘Mother’s voice’ who had a young and ringing voice?
Choose the work which is not written by pearls Buck.
The Good Earth
My Several worlds
The child who never Grew
- Match the name of the author with the story:
- (a) The selfish Giant-1. Pearl S Buck
- (b) Out in the fields with God-2. Oscar Wilde
- (c) The Refugee-3. Anton Chekhov
- (d) The Lottery Ticket-4. Elizabeth Barrett Browning
2 4 1 3
1 2 4 3
3 2 1 4
4 2 1 3
- “While their ice-block-cold eyes”
- Find the figure of speech
- Choose the verbs appropriately
- The florist ______ flowers on the strut.
There ---------------- a tear in my cost so I ---------------- anew coat when I -------------to market.
is, willbuy, go
was, will buy, went
is, bought, go
will be, bought,went
Situated in a remote corner of kumason bordering Tibet and Nepal, Munsiyari was once a bustling entrepot of trade.
- Which place was a busy trade centre?
In the prose, ‘Birthday letter’ Jawaharlal Nehru wrote a birthday letter to
During the sepoy Mutiny, the queen who fought against the British was
Who is the author of the book “The Fruit in our stars”?
Louis May Alcott
Jack Canfield Mark Victor Hansen
Identify the degree of the following sentence.
- Singapore is cleaner than most other countries in the world.
- Fill in the blanks with the suitable article:
- Mr. prabhu is one of ---------- best speakers in our city.
Scent and Herbs were imported in India by
Re-arrange the following sentence into a meaningful one
- A gentleman/has a dog to sell/who/wishes to go abroad.
A gentleman has to sell who wishes to go abroad a dog.
A gentleman who wishes to go abroad has a dog to sell
A gentleman has to go abroad wishes to sell a dog who.
A gentleman who wishes to sell a dog has to go abroad.
Which one of the following words is an example of a compound word consisting of an adverb + Participle?
In the poem “Our Local Team”, Who played a significant and convincing role?
The ‘snoring’ captain
The ‘demon’ bowler
The ‘slogger’ batsman
The ‘biased’ umpire
- “To me it is but a worthless bauble.”
- In the short story “with the photographer” which is the worthless stuff
Author’s animated photograph
Shekar Dattari is
Award Winning Photographer
Award Winning Filmmaker
Find out the verb from the following
Who built dam across River Kaveri?
Raja raja cholan
Khalil Gibran is from.
Khushwant Singh was a
News paper editor
In the short story “Owlie”, Payal’s family shifted Owlie’s cage to
Who told the following statement?
- “Tolerance is the highest result of education”
Dr. Abdul kalam
Subash Chandra Bose.
Subash Chandra Bose.
Honesty is the good policy
Honesty is the better policy
Honesty is the best policy
Honesty is the finer policy
- In ‘Music The Hope Raiser’ Dr. Karl Paulnack says:
- “The Greeks said that music and astronomy were two sides of the same coin”.
- ‘Two sides of the same coin’ would mean.
similar in every way
similar in approach but different in aim
opposite in every way
none of the above
. “Forensic medicine” was the poem written by
Dr. Gieve Patel
Annie Louisa walker
Match the following phrases given in Column a with their meanings in Column B
|Column A||Column B|
|a) See ever||1. Noticeable|
|b) Turndown||2. Be criticized|
|c) Under fire||3. Examine carefully|
|d) Eye Catching||4. Reject|
3 4 2 1
3 2 4 1
1 3 4 2
2 1 3 4
Once you are finished, click the button below. Any items you have not completed will be marked incorrect.
There are 100 questions to complete.